Dealing with mold is one of the more frustrating things a homeowner can face, which is why many turn to mold removal professionals. If you suspect that your home or office contains harmful amounts of mold, contact a Home Advisor pro in your area today.
If you look at Rockville Maryland‘s climate statistics, you will notice that Rockville is located in the humid Mid-Atlantic region of the United States where there are many areas with high humidity. This makes it very conducive to mold growth which can pose a health risk to anyone living or working in an affected area.
Mold testing is often required for insurance purposes after any kind of water damage or other weather-related events.
Signs of visible mold growth include discolored surfaces, stains, or black spots on walls or ceilings. If you can see or smell mold in your home, there’s probably a bigger problem lurking unseen. Another sign might also be water damage due to a leak or an overflowing sink.
Water damage isn’t always as obvious as a water stain on the ceiling. Some warning signs include:
• Peeling paint, which might indicate rot and mold beneath your walls
• Warped drywall, flooring, or trim boards that could indicate leaks and moisture seeping into wood structures
• Musty odors
• Signs of water infiltration that might include white, powdery deposits on surfaces or dark stains • Cracks in foundation walls
• Cracks in the paint
If you’re unsure whether you need mold removal services, call a professional to have it tested. Your state health department can help with recommendations for certified testing professionals.
Finding mold in your home or office does not always require the need for professional cleaning. However, if you do find mold it is important to identify the source and address it properly to prevent further spread of spores throughout the environment.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reports that there are over 100,000 species of mold. They noted that 90% of all homes in the United States have at least one type of mold growing in them, which is why it can be difficult to tell if you need mold removal or not.
The presence of water will eventually lead to the growth of fungi and eventually mold when exposed to organic material like sheetrock, insulation, or wood.
The National Institute of Health (NIH) posted that individuals with existing respiratory conditions such as asthma, allergies, and the elderly are more likely to be affected by the presence of mold in their homes. These individuals may experience shortness of breath, wheezing, and coughing when exposed to toxic molds.
Toxic mold has also been linked to other health issues in many cases.
If you discover mold on a surface that is “alive” with it, such as a ceiling where a roof leak has been present for some time, do not disturb the mold. Shut down the HVAC system if possible and contact your insurance company or professional restoration contractor immediately. Removal of heavy growth should be done only by professionals with experience in mold remediation.
If you determine through testing or have identified certain areas of your home are contaminated with “dead” mold, meaning the spores are no longer alive, professional cleaning is required. There are many methods to kill mold spores on non-porous surfaces but it must be done thoroughly to ensure that all traces of the spores have been removed.
We would love to talk and help restore your property!